1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Spyderco Brad Southard Flipper

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by racingfirefighter, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Jet B

Jet B

Jun 27, 2010
    It looks like a really nice one. A CTS 204P production knife will be really cool, I love my M390.

I'm just hoping it has a stainless steel lock face in there, I'm not a fan of Ti wearing on steel.

2. JNewell

JNewell

Nov 18, 2005
    More pure guessing, but I'd guess it will. The Tuff was introduced with the stainless lockbar insert. :thumbup:

3. Jet B

Jet B

Jun 27, 2010
    Thanks to this thread... Now I'm getting an itch for that Brad Southard flipper. Great.

:eek:

That thing looks like a really cool edc. That's how it always starts.

4. kreole

kreole

Jul 23, 2009
    I'd put money on it not having a steel insert. As the Techno shows, Spyderco doesn't add its innovations to collaboration knives (the Tuff was a knife Spyderco asked Mr. Schempp to design so isn't a collab in the same sense), and I don't see any mention of inserts on Brad Southard's page and don't see them in pictures.

5. JNewell

JNewell

Nov 18, 2005
    You could easily be right - it'd be too bad if it didn't, though. This is the kind of knife that would really benefit from that.

6. Steel130

Steel130

Sep 17, 2010
    If we are fortunate enough, perhaps they will heat treat the lockbar like the Techno?

7. JNewell

JNewell

Nov 18, 2005
    The definitive word on the insert:

8. Jet B

Jet B

Jun 27, 2010
    Thanks for that info.

If it's not sticky or wearing, then they must have done something right. I will be happy with that.

9. JNewell

JNewell

Nov 18, 2005
    I'm just glad I didn't take Kreole up on a bet! :eek: :D

10. kreole

kreole

Jul 23, 2009
    What?! You denying you PMed me a bet where the winner gets a Spyderco Brad Southard from whoever is wrong?

:D

Thanks for finding out for sure.

11. seelow123

seelow123

Oct 4, 2008
    I have no doubts on the lockbar wearing. I've flicked my Chokwe about 2000 times (That's probably an understatement, too;)) And it's set at about 40-45 percent lockup and the the lockbar is heat treated IIRC. It's gonna be an absolutely amazing folder.

12. bean_sips

bean_sips

Jul 26, 2010
    I haven't been this excited for a blade in quite awhile. Framelock flipper in CTS-204P... and it's a Spyderco, too??? Sign me up!

13. NM08SRT8

NM08SRT8

Dec 11, 2011
    Updates!?!?!

14. mkjellgren

mkjellgren

Nov 1, 2005
    +1 I'm REALLY looking forward to this one. Last I heard though it was looking more and more like early 2013.

15. Nullity

Nullity

Jul 28, 2002
    Flipper + Spydie-hole + CTS-204p... :D

16. 23xdm3.8

23xdm3.8

Apr 18, 2011
    Can't wait for this one..my guess(hoping)is January

17. asupernothing

asupernothing

Feb 10, 2011
    +Tip up carry

I guess I'm gonna be in for at least 2.

18. SolidState

SolidState

Sep 22, 2012
    I'm glad that Spyderco is opening up to flippers. I've handled the prototype, and I really liked it.

19. rororo64

rororo64

Sep 5, 2010
    I want one of these really bad. I am so going to get one of these pimped.

20. jackthedog

jackthedog

Dec 21, 2009
    Whenever I see this thread bumped up I hope it is someone saying something about the release date. Really looking forward to this one.