The "P&L Statement" Is Coming Wednesday, December 9, 2020 at 9:00 PM Eastern!!!

Question for you guys in the know. I'll start by saying this is my first post and also the first Busse knife I purchased. I've been wanting one for a while, when I saw the P&L I couldn't resist. I got it in desert bronze with black micarda. ( not that that matters much because I'm color blind LOL) I also ordered the Danny the bull sheath with it. My question is actually about the sheath, after I ordered I realized the description doesn't mention the size of the belt loop. My belt is a Wilderness Tactical 1 and 3/4 inch instructors belt. It also doubles as my gun belt, one of the best available IMHO. Do you guys have any idea if the belt loop on the sheath will fit a belt this wide? Thanks in advance

Welcome to the board. Welcome to the brand. Congrats on the purchase, helluva first blade..looks killer. Cool color combo you chose. Pics when it lands, please.

No idea of the belt loop size. Someone will confirm, for sure.

Question for you guys in the know. I'll start by saying this is my first post and also the first Busse knife I purchased. I've been wanting one for a while, when I saw the P&L I couldn't resist. I got it in desert bronze with black micarda. ( not that that matters much because I'm color blind LOL) I also ordered the Danny the bull sheath with it. My question is actually about the sheath, after I ordered I realized the description doesn't mention the size of the belt loop. My belt is a Wilderness Tactical 1 and 3/4 inch instructors belt. It also doubles as my gun belt, one of the best available IMHO. Do you guys have any idea if the belt loop on the sheath will fit a belt this wide? Thanks in advance
Welcome to the trough. I agree this ones a must have. A swedged harpoon tanto slicer/stabber will find many uses. I did not go for the sheath bc I prefer Kydex and a little more retention. Interesting that the site description does not include the belt loop measurement however the pic of the backside gives you some idea of what you’re getting. Don’t know how wide your belt is but the Bull loop looks big enough for a generally wide belt. Good luck!

Grabbed the Desert Sage/Green Canvas to match my TGULB, love that color combo. Now I need another set of Canvas Hybrid pants from Mr. Brown!

I measured a couple of my Danny the Bull sheaths, and they were about 2" from the rivets to the end of the loop. You could probably make it work with a 2" belt if you flattened out the loop a bit. I think 1 3/4" should be fine.

I measured a couple of my Danny the Bull sheaths, and they were about 2" from the rivets to the end of the loop. You could probably make it work with a 2" belt if you flattened out the loop a bit. I think 1 3/4" should be fine.
Sweet! Thanks for the info

I had no chance of getting my mega warden bull sheaths on a 2" .. maybe the loops get bigger with bigger blades , i only have smaller models so not surw

I went down to a 1.5" with room to spare and im sure 1.75 would fit also as stated

Man, I am so excited for this. Have been following Busse here (hardcore lurker since I don't have any) for a decade. Bought a few Kin blades (SYKCO 911 & 411 - Love em!) since they were what I could afford. I have been wanting some INFI on my hip so badly, but trying to be reasonable. This year has been better to me than most, and when I saw this blade I knew it was time to pull the trigger. Comp finish with Black Micarta. I got the sheath knowing full well that I'll buy custom leather pants, but I know I won't be able to wait to start carrying it! Hopefully this is the start of something bigger and I can finally replace my SR101 with INFI in every size category. Love this company, the quality, designs, and no f#(&$ given attitudes. And the community here is outstanding! You guys are the reason I have stuck around even when I couldn't afford these awesome blades, and I'm excited to join you all at the trough!

I would agree with JTT that it will work, but for a different reason. I have the WS1020 (Yard Slicer) in sheath, and checked it on my Ares 1.5" wide belt. It fits with about a quarter-inch to spare. So, I think it will fit your 1.75" belt. However, I think it will be a pretty tight fit on that belt. It will wear in, though.

Man, I am so excited for this. Have been following Busse here (hardcore lurker since I don't have any) for a decade. Bought a few Kin blades (SYKCO 911 & 411 - Love em!) since they were what I could afford. I have been wanting some INFI on my hip so badly, but trying to be reasonable. This year has been better to me than most, and when I saw this blade I knew it was time to pull the trigger. Comp finish with Black Micarta. I got the sheath knowing full well that I'll buy custom leather pants, but I know I won't be able to wait to start carrying it! Hopefully this is the start of something bigger and I can finally replace my SR101 with INFI in every size category. Love this company, the quality, designs, and no f#(&$ given attitudes. And the community here is outstanding! You guys are the reason I have stuck around even when I couldn't afford these awesome blades, and I'm excited to join you all at the trough!
Welcome to the madness! Congrats on pulling the trigger and glad to hear this crazy year has been good to you. Hope it stays good for you as we move into the next year!

A harpoon tanto Busse for under $300 feels like a real holiday special. Think about every other harpoon or tanto knife from Wauseon, this is an extremely unique offering.

I've never been able to find a clear answer on it.

Most explanations I've found seem to mention giving it a little more forward weight to help with chopping. If the back piece is sharpened then to help in a fight.

I can say the fin on the Fusion Combat HUCK Fin (I think that was the full model name) will absolutely tear sh** up, and it isn't even sharpened. That corner is wicked. Not sure if you can call that fin a harpoon grind, though it does resemble one.

Maybe somebody here can clue me in, I've been curious about this for a while but never asked.

What is the purpose of a harpoon grind on a knife?
I asked the same question to a member here on the phone. I assumed it was supposed to be something similar to a guthook. He told me that he was under the impression from something he read in the Busse forums a while back that it was to aid in penetration.

My apologies to everyone if this is wrong. I'm not throwing the members name out in case I heard him wrong, so everything I just posted is conjecture. But I'd be interested in knowing myself if this is correct as well.

Adding material isn’t ever really going to improve penetration. I think harpoons are mostly just to look cool (unless sharpened in which case good for back cuts).

Traditionally, harpoons were there to keep the fish from getting off the pointy stick, right? So aside from aesthetics, I really don't see "much" utility in a knife. However one could argue that the extra material may serve two purposes:
1) add a sharpened edge on top to actually help penetration by increasing cutting edge.
2) increase tip strength by making the tip angle more obtuse than if there was no harpoon tip.
3) I don't know how much back-cutting actually happens in a fighting knife, and won't pretend to know ANYTHING about actual fighting with a knife... but a sharpened harpoon might be a nice compromise between having a sharpened back edge on the business end, while still allowing an unsharp spine closer to the wielder if pressure/power is needed from your off/second hand.

Again, I'm no expert or even well versed in knife fighting... Just my own theories.

Traditionally, harpoons were there to keep the fish from getting off the pointy stick, right? So aside from aesthetics, I really don't see "much" utility in a knife. However one could argue that the extra material may serve two purposes:
1) add a sharpened edge on top to actually help penetration by increasing cutting edge.
2) increase tip strength by making the tip angle more obtuse than if there was no harpoon tip.
3) I don't know how much back-cutting actually happens in a fighting knife, and won't pretend to know ANYTHING about actual fighting with a knife... but a sharpened harpoon might be a nice compromise between having a sharpened back edge on the business end, while still allowing an unsharp spine closer to the wielder if pressure/power is needed from your off/second hand.

Again, I'm no expert or even well versed in knife fighting... Just my own theories.
So, like my previous post, I'm certainly not the person to ask about this type of thing. But had to comment since two people in a row said something about sharpening the swedge. I would cut the ever-living buh-jesus out of myself if I did that. Basically because if it's not a dagger, I would forget it had sharp on top. lol.

Someone else in another thread was recently talking about knife tips and it amounted to "how often do you actually stab something"... For me, I don't stab things basically ever, but I use my knife tips for delicate things. I've found with a thin blade with an incredible sharp tip, you can surgically remove things by "stabbing" the edges of whatever it is you want to remove until you've created almost a perforated border and then just pop it off/out of whatever you're trying to get removed.

Lastly, as far as actual harpoons, the only few I have ever seen were in Alaska, or the southwest, in museums and the harpoon points were gigantic things that looked like a very scaled up fish hook barb on a straight bar of steel, not something that did not ultimately separate from the blade - at the back of in the case of a knife like the P&L where the harpoon grind stops on the top of the blade.

I have a few blades that have something like this incorporated on them, just not quite as noticeable to the eye for me. Like the F16 for example. It has a swedge/harpoon grind on the front of it, but the blade is so long, that it doesn't cover half the blade length. It looks great, but I don't have any idea what it's for there either. LOL.

Back