The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2021 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
QUOTE - BrotherJim - "You're absolutely right. Guess it doesn't look too bad ... just not as classy (an adjective and maybe not the one I'm looking for LOL) as it once did

QsUn698.jpg

QOP9fpo.jpg
Looks Great, IMO!!

QUOTE - BrotherJim - "You're absolutely right. Guess it doesn't look too bad ... just not as classy (an adjective and maybe not the one I'm looking for LOL) as it once did

QsUn698.jpg

QOP9fpo.jpg
Looks Great, IMO!!
Thank you sir. In all honesty, the "character" happened so gradually I didn't even notice until I recently ran across a picture of when it was new. At the time in 2015 it was a "grail" knife for me and I still like it just as much now as I did then. If a forum knife were offered in a smooth natural/ivory bone, I wouldn't hesitate to grab one. Just felt compelled to share experience with the cover is all. :)

Horse cut bone would look superb on this knife and frame what with there being a comparatively large expanse of material to show it off!

GEC does a great job with jig or pick or carved bone - Yesterday Camillus mentioned how sawcut has been well used in recent runs which is true. Smooth ivory bone would be OK. Whatever the expert Makers decide is good for me.

As usual with the forum knife, my desires just are not going to happen (I guess I'm weird), but I will voice them anyway. I would love to see a bolster stamp with BFC, and I would love to see checkered wood for the handles. Regardless, it will be a beautiful knife and I will buy as many as I am allowed. Bill, Charlie and Barry will do us all proud, of that I'm very confident.

I would love to be able to get one of these Barlows!

Edit to add: I somehow ended up 30 pages behind in this thread. But this looks like a great knife. A wood option would be awesome but so would anything else. I'm just looking forward to my first BF knife after being on here for a while.

Last edited:
As usual with the forum knife, my desires just are not going to happen (I guess I'm weird), but I will voice them anyway. I would love to see a bolster stamp with BFC, and I would love to see checkered wood for the handles. Regardless, it will be a beautiful knife and I will buy as many as I am allowed. Bill, Charlie and Barry will do us all proud, of that I'm very confident.
I could definitely get on board with checkered wood or bone. Black walnut is a nice wood, although I dont know how GEC procures cover slabs.

Strongly in the bone camp. If the desire is to pair with the 2019 knife, white bone does just as well without being redundant. Truthfully, there are many colors of bone that would look good next the 2019 knife. Blue, red, green, yellow, etc. It's black after all.

That said, I love the idea of a smooth autumn bone, or an chestnut sawcut as they are simply my favorite color bone handles.

Last edited:
cobjCu0.jpg
Vsi3xy1.jpg

Maybe this can give an idea of the size, not sure if you're familiar with the 97 in the first pic but its a bit longer overall than an Opinel no.8. In the bottom pic the square is set to 3 inches.:thumbsup:

The square set to 3 inches helps tremendously. The blade looks to be about 3 inches long. At least that is my estimate. Thank you very much.

All kidding aside, That Bolster that Bill has proposed to us is very special!!
And, it takes a lot of effort to forge!! A form must be sculpted, then cast. then the resulting forming die must be tempered, then re-inforced with a cage/ring of steel to stand the pressure of forging. Then precision slugs of metal must be cut for forging! Too big, and you blow up the forming die!!
It's quite a process!!:eek:

checkered wood sounds great as well as the walnut idea...BFC! The experts have the ideas!

All kidding aside, That Bolster that Bill has proposed to us is very special!!
And, it takes a lot of effort to forge!! A form must be sculpted, then cast. then the resulting forming die must be tempered, then re-inforced with a cage/ring of steel to stand the pressure of forging. Then precision slugs of metal must be cut for forging! Too big, and you blow up the forming die!!
It's quite a process!!:eek:

That sounds like quite the precision required Charlie, thanks :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back