The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2021 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mass1632

Gold Member
While i like bolster stamps, there is already so much going on with this bolster (which looks wonderful), a bolster stamp will be too crowded. Wood grain covers may also make the knife too busy. The white bone sounds like the best to me. White sawcut? Sounds so nice, ill take it anyway i can get it(busy or not).

PointyThings

Gold Member
Would be thrilled to get the 86 Barlow as designed by Bill. I prefer white bone, but not in saw cut. Saw cut bone kinda needs some contrast. I'd like to see white bone with flat grinds, rounded and smooth like the recent 15 Barlow in Smooth Autumn Gold bone.

But, again, I'll happily take whatever I can get ;)

BrotherJim

Gold Member
Saw cut Mammoth (replaced original Delrin), with a bolster thing going on.
Prolly about as rare as saw cut white bone. Gives an idea of looks kinda sorta maybe.

EDIT: To show blade etch and all that busy stuff going on LOL
(i don't know those people)

x10MYpu.jpg

X1OEeP9.jpg

Tl3HYBL.jpg

Last edited:

r8shell

Platinum Member
No idea how GEC smooth ivory bone stands up but a 2015 natural smooth bone Northwoods Indian River Jack (Queen made) I have, sure has soaked up some handling oils and turned a kinda grotty yellow brown color in some areas. Guess it depends on how often a knife is carried and used of course ... and maybe the hand.

Thank you sir. In all honesty, the "character" happened so gradually I didn't even notice until I recently ran across a picture of when it was new. At the time in 2015 it was a "grail" knife for me and I still like it just as much now as I did then. If a forum knife were offered in a smooth natural/ivory bone, I wouldn't hesitate to grab one. Just felt compelled to share experience with the cover is all. :)
If we could get a knife with steel or nickel liners, there's no worry about verdigris from brass giving it a greenish tint. I'm partial to white/ivory bone, and I like the way white bone mellows into a more "ivory" color, but if we went with something more golden or caramel, people wouldn't be disappointed when the pure whiteness goes away.

aMI5YGO.jpg

Now that is what I am talking about! More glitter and if a bolster stamp is used then it needs to be painted a nice gold color! More glitter too! You can’t have too much glitter!

o_O:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::p
I take it a secondary punch tool is out of the question?
8QeMSyd.jpg

BrotherJim

Gold Member
If we could get a knife with steel or nickel liners, there's no worry about verdigris from brass giving it a greenish tint. I'm partial to white/ivory bone, and I like the way white bone mellows into a more "ivory" color, but if we went with something more golden or caramel, people wouldn't be disappointed when the pure whiteness goes away.

aMI5YGO.jpg
My goD !!! You've done well with that collection Rachel. Simply stunning !!! STUNNING

Old Engineer

Gold Member

aMI5YGO.jpg

I take it a secondary punch tool is out of the question?
8QeMSyd.jpg
I agree with you my friend . Unless this knife has Steel or Nickel Liners and Pins , a White Bone Knife will end up a VERY UGLY GREENISH color if they carry it without a Slip . And then they may very well see it also developing from being handled . The Beautiful White will be GONE . This is coming from a guy who does like White Bone , but they are all basically Safe Queens . This is what you get .

Harry

Will Power

Gold Member
I've long liked the idea of Sawn Cut Ivory Bone, it could be a nice innovation .

Or else, a very dark Maroon Sawn Cut :thumbsup:

As for blade etch, if you must... "One Out of Many" ;) You Americans should like that :cool:

Ramrodmb

Gold Member
I've long liked the idea of Sawn Cut Ivory Bone, it could be a nice innovation .

Or else, a very dark Maroon Sawn Cut :thumbsup:

As for blade etch, if you must... "One Out of Many" ;) You Americans should like that :cool:
How about - many as one!;)
Even though we don’t always act it

Last edited:

EngrSorenson

Gold Member
Basic Member
Wow, what a roller coaster ride I’ve been on for the past 200 something messages. First i’m grateful for everyone who has been working on this end it’s only by the diligence on their end that we get such a neat product. Second I’m over joyed it seems like it could go through. I’m not sure if it’s official yet, but you bet I’m about to go check the form at large. Third, I’m very sad that this is how I find out that half stop has left us for the great knife show in the sky. What a great person, and I’ll miss his contributions to this form.

Status
Not open for further replies.