The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2021 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did someone say Spam?

full

Someone wants SPAM?

A9F4E609-390A-4F77-99D0-1927DCFED283.jpeg 266EAC01-E595-46D1-8E7C-ED4C05208EE4.jpeg 2542AFC6-1FDF-43C6-9F93-47F50C0C548A.jpeg

Lots of great suggestions being made and no bad choices really. However, this is a rare opportunity to shoot for the moon. Two of the most beautiful covers ever made by GEC are Sawcut Dark Chestnut and Red Soupbone. Knives with these covers are almost impossible to find, and, when you do, they are far too expensive for me to afford. Now we have a chance to get one for cheap!

They also have the advantage of not changing appearance with age and being uniform in appearance. We won’t see big winners and big losers in the cover lottery. The yellowing on plain undyed bone is great to some but not so great to others. The same is true for osage.

I have never seen a knife with Sawcut Dark Chestnut or Red Soupbone handles that did not look fantastic, either on the day it was made or ten years later. Why not pick a cover that is made of unobtanium when we can so easily do it now? It would be one for the ages. A knife that some of us could not afford otherwise. And can you imagine how great that magnificent bolster and clip blade would look with Saw Cut Dark Chestnut or Red Soupbone covers?! It would be the ultimate Barlow.

Last edited:
Since this is all non-binding, meaning it could all get overturned and GEC could put whatever they like on it- faux wood in plastic :eek::poop: But let's keep the tempo upbeat and the bar high: if only they could do Horsecut Jigged Bone again then they'd out do themselves :cool::thumbsup:

Dreams are on and free, nightmares may follow ;)
Will, you had me at horsecut jigged bone! :)

I would be perfectly happy with sawcut bone. The more opinions come out though I am getting more on board with smooth white bone. Having an ebony and ivory pair of 86's just seems super classy and timeless.
Absolutely, white bone with ebony would be perfect to put up in collection

I am usually all aboard the wood scale train, and I would be happy with wood scales here (especially chequered), but I do think that bone is the way to go for this knife. I don't much care what kind of bone. I think a red soup bone would be awful pretty, but I am agnostic overall.

I’ve seen a lot of mentions of pinched bolsters. It doesn’t look to me like the bolsters are pinched in the drawing. It just looks like it tapers off like a normal bolster. Maybe Charlie @waynorth can verify.

All kidding aside, That Bolster that Bill has proposed to us is very special!!
And, it takes a lot of effort to forge!! A form must be sculpted, then cast. then the resulting forming die must be tempered, then re-inforced with a cage/ring of steel to stand the pressure of forging. Then precision slugs of metal must be cut for forging! Too big, and you blow up the forming die!!
It's quite a process!!:eek:

I didn't realize that. I love the bolster and am rather excited about the fluted/top and bottom lined/pinched combo. I'll retract my bolster stamp desire because these finishings seen worth it and give wanted to see them on a barlow for a while.

Preferences Ivory/white (Sawcut or not) Bone and copperhead sawcut as a 2nd choice still stand.

I didn't realize that. I love the bolster and am rather excited about the fluted/top and bottom lined/pinched combo. I'll retract my bolster stamp desire because these finishings seen worth it and give wanted to see them on a barlow for a while.

Preferences Ivory/white (Sawcut or not) Bone and copperhead sawcut as a 2nd choice still stand.

White sawcut....brilliant! :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back