The Woodsman now going 420 SS

I think this knife would have been a seller had they used micarta for the handle.

I wish someone with better skills and camera would post tutorials on how to make your own handle replacements. I’ve made both wood and micarta handles, and they aren’t hard or very time consuming with the right tools: belt sander, drill press(or even hand drill) and a dremel, and a small blade for a jigsaw are all you need, apart from micarta(not expensive) or wood (scrap is free). Quite good leather sheath replacements are $10.

Although I don’t intend to buy one until I hear some feedback, according to the “experts” (as if tooj and dan maragni weren’t “expert” enough,) 420 is probably the “only” or “best” choice for a stainless chopper without going into sanmai territory with convexed edges. And no factory I know of in th US does these. 12c27 from sandvik doesn’t come in 1/4” thick stock, otherwise I think this steel would be more interesting to see from Ontario, and worth a 50% increase at least in price.

Any one give their 420 SS version a good work out yet?
I'm not sure how it would do on a large knife, is why I'm asking. A 420 SS one might be good for water based trips if it can hold up to regular tasks.

I would like to know as well !

Any one give their 420 SS version a good work out yet?
I'm not sure how it would do on a large knife, is why I'm asking. A 420 SS one might be good for water based trips if it can hold up to regular tasks.

So people know I got this reply from Midway USA customer service. I'm posting it in case people get confused when seeing the knife info there. I'm not knocking the seller, they went out of their way to confirm what metal the knife was. Their SALES they have and CS are pretty dang good. Some places it takes time I guess to up date product changes.

We have received confirmation that our in stock product for the Ontario Bushcraft Woodsman Fixed Blade Knife 9.2" Drop Point 5160 Carbon Steel Blade Walnut Handle is showing that the blade is 420 stainless steel. We look forward to serving you in the future and hope you have a great day.

I'm on the fence on a large non coated 420 big blade now...

Ordered it...for reasons of a cheaper price than normal for what reason I won't say, but I got another RD Tanto to pair with it.

And water trip and big critter cutting and for little sisters to steal probably...

They aren’t a BF supporting member as far as I know but they sure do run some pretty nice sales on Ontario knives... got the “official” Iraq war folder in desert camo there for $45(retailed at $275). About 10 of them actually, gave them as stocking stuffers to friends and family, and was a big hit last Christmas!

Yep, Link to the Woodsman I got just changed to 420 SS today, but I knew it was 420 when I ordered it. It looks like it was sold out.

So if you want a FFG 5160 SP-50 type now...get an SP-50.

Yep, Link to the Woodsman I got just changed to 420 SS today, but I knew it was 420 when I ordered it. It looks like it was sold out.

So if you want a FFG 5160 SP-50 type now...get an SP-50.

Is that the last available large 2nd gen spec plus in 5160?

The Spec Plus Gen II stuff will stay 5160, and the SP-50 is spec plus gen II.

The Spec Plus Gen II stuff will stay 5160, and the SP-50 is spec plus gen II.

I thought someone mentioned that the sp-50 will be disco’d, so it won’t be around forever if I’m not mistaken. The sp-53 will also be gone as well before long. So that doesn’t leave very many models left of the larger 5160 blades.

WHAT? The SP-53 is the king of the choppers! That can do knife stuff also pretty well! They can't kill that!

Its in the 2018/2019 catalog!

WHAT? The SP-53 is the king of the choppers! That can do knife stuff also pretty well! They can't kill that!

Its in the 2018/2019 catalog!

Oh, I didn’t see it last I checked their website, that’s weird. Maybe they are selling those well enough to keep them in production, unlike so many other.

They just ran of stock with what was on hand. They do production runs of various knives and keep switching.

When my first two SP-53d had way bad grinds on them, before they started their serious quality control, they waited till they could get me some of the later batch that were great as they wanted to do right by me. As they do production runs and then its the tempering stuff, I got a late SP-51 that was the last of their last batch that was a year after their official sun setting. They said here that was from a batch awaiting tempering and they ran it through to finish off the stock. So glad I grabbed that last one!

Well got it... Box dated June 2018.

Seems the handle is a little better seemingly a bit bigger and tweaked contouring, and its grippier when wet so Athletic Tape might not be needed. Seems OKC listened to our handle "observations", now to see if I can swap these handles to my 5160 one...

The Fit and polish on the non blade part (Choil area) I don't see as well buffed or wuffed, but this is 420 HC and I guess they that much buff and polish every where was to try and keep corrosion down. Me I don't mind the finish not being so Buffed and Polished and so Shiny I can do my make up in...er image enhancing regiment products! I mean to use the blade not put it under glass like a pheasant to get looked at by looky lookers awaiting to be liberated by a real user!. :D

The spine isn't as literal sharp as another set of knives sharp like the 5160 version. But they seem to be good enough to throw a spark I think. You can see the water cut marks that make it look and feel "rough" if you press your hand down on it, it goes like that through the whole tang and stuff. Some slight nicks in the edges but I think that would be from the production process of steel being moved around. As stated before "I think" the 5160 needed the extra polish and burnish to help try and keep rust and corrosion down. The very end of the tippy end seems not perfectly even, that would drive some "I NEED IT PERFECT! AT100%!" anal retentive types to be set off, but OKC Hand Grinds their blades so there might be some ever so offish ones. For me I can live with that as its not a $1234.56 dollar knife where I would expect it to be. Being 420 SS the knife is more corrosion resistant than 5160 so I can accept the water cut marks. As the same type of water marks can be seen under the coatings of my other big okc blades. For a great AFFORDABLE quality knives the OKC does, I can live with a few "BAD COSMETIC" looks.

Now then as for the steel, I haven't seen if its 420 HC or what other version it might be. So for now I'll use it like my CS Marauder in AUS 8A I use for water based trips and do light to medium duty stuff with it and yes Kitchen stuff...if my little sister don't get away with stealing it...

Does any one know what form of 420 it is? I've got Gerber Strongarms in 420 HC I've done horrific things with they still hold true to form. (Yes, several needed resharpening after what I did...but I use them for the literal beater blades.) For the harder things out comes the TFI or another RD line blade.

Well got it... Box dated June 2018.

Seems the handle is a little better seemingly a bit bigger and tweaked contouring, and its grippier when wet so Athletic Tape might not be needed. Seems OKC listened to our handle "observations", now to see if I can swap these handles to my 5160 one...

The Fit and polish on the non blade part (Choil area) I don't see as well buffed or wuffed, but this is 420 HC and I guess they that much buff and polish every where was to try and keep corrosion down. Me I don't mind the finish not being so Buffed and Polished and so Shiny I can do my make up in...er image enhancing regiment products! I mean to use the blade not put it under glass like a pheasant to get looked at by looky lookers awaiting to be liberated by a real user!. :D

The spine isn't as literal sharp as another set of knives sharp like the 5160 version. But they seem to be good enough to throw a spark I think. You can see the water cut marks that make it look and feel "rough" if you press your hand down on it, it goes like that through the whole tang and stuff. Some slight nicks in the edges but I think that would be from the production process of steel being moved around. As stated before "I think" the 5160 needed the extra polish and burnish to help try and keep rust and corrosion down. The very end of the tippy end seems not perfectly even, that would drive some "I NEED IT PERFECT! AT100%!" anal retentive types to be set off, but OKC Hand Grinds their blades so there might be some ever so offish ones. For me I can live with that as its not a $1234.56 dollar knife where I would expect it to be. Being 420 SS the knife is more corrosion resistant than 5160 so I can accept the water cut marks. As the same type of water marks can be seen under the coatings of my other big okc blades. For a great AFFORDABLE quality knives the OKC does, I can live with a few "BAD COSMETIC" looks.

Now then as for the steel, I haven't seen if its 420 HC or what other version it might be. So for now I'll use it like my CS Marauder in AUS 8A I use for water based trips and do light to medium duty stuff with it and yes Kitchen stuff...if my little sister don't get away with stealing it...

Does any one know what form of 420 it is? I've got Gerber Strongarms in 420 HC I've done horrific things with they still hold true to form. (Yes, several needed resharpening after what I did...but I use them for the literal beater blades.) For the harder things out comes the TFI or another RD line blade.

It’s.3% carbon, Tooj called it 420HC

THANKS!

Now I know I can be a bit more abusive with it! :cool:

I trust OKCs heat treats!

I saw the Machete is 420 HC, just we never got a clear answer for the Woodsman.

Editcus: I did get a RD Tanto to pair it with for real heavy hard chopping duties.

Last edited:
Back