Well I got to look at the Sebenzas and...

Ah..

Mine is all scratched up..... ;)

Lighting is hiding most of them.....

Funny also how the non-Sebenza fans invariably call the Sebenza fans snobs or narcissists. lol

Sorry for the blanket statement but, there are a lot of CRK owners who fit that description(more so then not imo). Not all though and I am sorry If I offended any of those ones. CRK owners just seem to tend to think that there knives are the best on the planet because of the price they paid for them I find. Like I said, great knives but, also a fine example of the law of diminishing returns.

Last edited:
I use my buck 112 heavily
cutting roasted chicken through bone, Sirloin.

all the sebenzas I've seen are...
not used heavily, if not at all
unless you call cutting paper heavy use, lol.

What use have you had with your paper weight?

DSC_5390.jpg

19587049325_432fbb3986.jpg

I would never think of using my knives for such heavy tasks like cutting chicken or steak. :D

pWZ-hg.jpg

my buck 112 is my sebenza, don't need $400 dollars to cut roast chicken

Well you're certainly correct on that point. There are any number of knives in the kitchen for cutting chicken.

For those tasks that require a little more heft, I prefer a 25 or unmumzaan, especially when those tasks are performed every single day. It becomes a reliability issue then.

Enjoy the pictures, Rappy!

I use my buck 112 heavily
cutting roasted chicken through bone, Sirloin.

all the sebenzas I've seen are...
not used heavily, if not at all
unless you call cutting paper heavy use, lol.

What use have you had with your paper weight?

DSC_5390.jpg

Hardly a paper weight..... ;)

Same knife different lighting......

DSC_5384.JPG

No need for the insults.
Seems you may be the one that doesn't respect people who love CRK.
I can respect your opinion on any knife, but not if its laced with insults.

Just telling it like it is man. Try telling your average CRK fan that his knife isn't the best and see what happens. The top price range for any product tends to attract these types I find. Elitism and narcissism go hand in hand with high end products. And, once people have spent the money they tend to defend the perception that it is the best even if they come to realize it's not to help justify the large chunk of coin they dropped and there decision to buy it. It's a common psychological theory called Post-purchase rationalization.

Just telling it like it is man. Try telling your average CRK fan that his knife isn't the best and see what happens. The top price range for any product tends to attract these types I find. Elitism and narcissism go hand in hand with high end products. And, once people have spent the money they tend to defend the perception that it is the best even if they come to realize it's not to help justify the large chunk of coin they dropped and there decision to buy it. It's a common psychological theory called Post-purchase rationalization.

Not really.... ;)

The knives are what they are, and they have been judged by CRK's peers over the past 25 years, the result has been a slew of awards.

The result ended up they are the standard by which all others are judged by.

People either like them or they don't, same as any other knife.

If they like them and can afford one they buy one, it's just that simple, they really aren't all that expensive when compared to other things a lot of people seem to buy though in the end.

$450 doesn't exactly put one in the Millionaire status. ;)

pWZ-hg.jpg

my buck 112 is my sebenza, don't need $400 dollars to cut roast chicken

You don't need a Buck either; steak knives work. But you want to use it, you like it, so you put it to work. A medal will soon be delivered by the President himself.

I've seen some very beat up Sebenzas, and my Seb 25 EDC's got a couple scratches too; they just don't show their age and wear like a Buck does, by gently falling apart.:D No, Buck make some pretty good knives, they're just boring. IMO.

One part of the problem is that widespread acclaim builds up unreasonable expectations. A large number of knowledgeable people agreeing that a knife is very good does not mean it's a magical mix of light-saber and Excalibur. It doesn't just keep accumulating awesomeness with every +1:thumbup: CRK convert... it remains the exact same, expertly designed and near-perfectly constructed knife it's always been.

Then you've got those who want to come off like mythbuster heroes, warriors of the truth, 'just tellin' it like it is'... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Just telling it like it is man. Try telling your average CRK fan that his knife isn't the best and see what happens.

Perhaps you could try telling the average CRK fan you don't care for their favorite knife based on some actual experience without adding stupid internet pics or subtle(often not so subtle) insults and see what happens. Probably not much, but a lot of CRK haters seem to go out of their way to take an interest in CRK threads, even though they have no use for the knife itself. What do psychologists have to say about that sort of behavior?

I didn't buy mine, it was a gift. Instructions were to use it, break it, sell it, do whatever with it. The grind and steel do work great. Opens cans of beans on the trail when your brother brings them but no can opener and cuts baler twine easily. The problems start when you start doing work with it. The smooth sleek design is harder to hold in the hand sweaty and wet than a hand full of grape jelly. It's great for get it out, make a cut and put it back. It's not so great in a warehouse working all day with sweaty hands, you'll be looking for some grape jelly to get a grip on of you do.

The build and design can't be beat, the materials are top notch. Worth every penny but I'm tempted to re engineer it so it works better. Might take the slabs off and try spray on bed liner for better grip and grind down the spine so it's sharp enough to scrape rust and paint like every other knife out there can do. I'd love to use it more but it was never designed for working all day, if it were no one would pay for a ugly work looking knife at that price no matter the engineering, people want pretty for that price and that's what they get.

Godspeed, Psychology Boy! :loyal: Who needs to handle and use a knife when you can psychoanalyze the owners? Who needs to psychoanalyze the owners one at a time when you can make grand, sweeping generalizations? Hurray for pseudo-science! :triumphant:

Did not like them even a little. I tried to because they look beautiful. Did not like the feel in my hand or the liner lock. I also looked at the benchmade titanium and disliked it also so im not hating on the Sebenzas. After handeling many different knives I found I prefer knives a bit smaller.

Thank God! I can stop holding my breath waiting for you to actually tell us you didn't like them after looking at and holding one. Since you don't like them I will toss out my CRK knives and expect everyone else to do the same. Have you notified the scientific community that the universe now revolves around you and your preferences?

Wait. . . . . . . what? Oh, okay, The vote's in and the Eliteone is nothing but an attention monger who knows that posting negatives about Sebenzas will stir the pot. Nevermind. We don't have to toss our beloveds after all. :cool:

One part of the problem is that widespread acclaim builds up unreasonable expectations. A large number of knowledgeable people agreeing that a knife is very good does not mean it's magical mix of light-saber and Excalibur. It doesn't just keep accumulating awesomeness with every +1:thumbup: CRK convert... it remains the exact same, expertly designed and near-perfectly constructed knife it's always been.
I'll agree with that. It's sort of like that movie that everybody's been taking about - when you finally get to see it, it just doesn't live up to the hype for you. Doesn't mean it isn't a good movie, or that you didn't enjoy it...it just didn't live up to your initial expectations. That's why I'm giving my CRK more time. I'd handled one (15+) years ago, and was underwhelmed; so I'm not sure why I expected a different reaction now (yes I do - the acclaim). I have it a try because my tastes have changed. I certainly recognize the quality of the piece; but I admit that doesn't mean I have to like it. Maybe it will grow on me with use. Perhaps not. Either way, it takes nothing away from CRK; and I see no reason to be negative toward either side of this issue.

Perhaps you could try telling the average CRK fan you don't care for their favorite knife based on some actual experience without adding stupid internet pics or subtle(often not so subtle) insults and see what happens. Probably not much, but a lot of CRK haters seem to go out of their way to take an interest in CRK threads, even though they have no use for the knife itself. What do psychologists have to say about that sort of behavior?

That's just it though. I am not a hater. I like CRK. They make some nice knives and seem to run a great company. I am actually considering a Nyala right now(if the handle wasn't so long it would be in the mail now). I just don't like the mythical status some people try to give them. To me the Sebenza is an old, plain, boring design with not the greatest steel choice for its dollar value, slippery scales, and detail that just drives the price up instead of adding to the useable functionality of the design.

I didn't buy mine, it was a gift. Instructions were to use it, break it, sell it, do whatever with it. The grind and steel do work great. Opens cans of beans on the trail when your brother brings them but no can opener and cuts baler twine easily. The problems start when you start doing work with it. The smooth sleek design is harder to hold in the hand sweaty and wet than a hand full of grape jelly. It's great for get it out, make a cut and put it back. It's not so great in a warehouse working all day with sweaty hands, you'll be looking for some grape jelly to get a grip on of you do.

The build and design can't be beat, the materials are top notch. Worth every penny but I'm tempted to re engineer it so it works better. Might take the slabs off and try spray on bed liner for better grip and grind down the spine so it's sharp enough to scrape rust and paint like every other knife out there can do. I'd love to use it more but it was never designed for working all day, if it were no one would pay for a ugly work looking knife at that price no matter the engineering, people want pretty for that price and that's what they get.

One word.

Micarta...

B7BBE079-7631-41DE-AB6D-E6A85AE8C562_zpsqxrhlnkt.jpg

I don't know but, I've used my Sebenza a lot, I don't treat any of my knvies like garbage so, if you guys are looking to see something that has been thrown off the back of a truck on the freeway, then you might need to wait a while longer. Most people take care of their stuff, and whatever your definition of wear and tear or use is has no visible qualification as of this point.
Trolling will be dealt with much like a surprise birthday party. The gifts will be infractions if civility cannot be maintained. :D

Exactly! Elitism and nacissism also go hand-in-hand with working more, sleeping less, thinking deeper, making smarter decisions and having more fore-thought than most others. This brings on a sense of self-worth and pride. Then these hard-working, intelligent people get enjoyment out of the high-end things that they buy by sharing them with their family and friends and, in turn, makes them strive to be more successful so that they can enjoy the fruits of their labor even more. They also aren't the kind of people who resent other hard-working people so they hang around with them and share ideas and make even more money! Oh, it's a vicious cycle indeed! They also secretly chuckle at the people who call them names and complain when things aren't fair. However, they usually go out of their way to help those people who are working hard and trying to climb the ladder of success without being resentful about it.

Accusing people of elitism and narcissism is often the recourse of the one who is jealous of those who possess what he or she can't afford. Just telling like it is, man.

Look, high end stuff isn't meant for everyone. There are people who will never own an expensive luxury car, or an expensive timepiece, or expensive knife. They may not be able to grasp a reason to justify paying a large sum of money on an item, and will be quite content with what they have. If a $20 or $30 Buck folder does everything you need out of knife, then enjoy it, praise it and move on.

I will never own high end custom knives, simply because I can't justify the expense. That doesn't mean that I'm going to criticise people who can afford them or dismiss a particular knife as overrated just because I can't afford it. Things cost what the cost. It's as simple as that. Obviously, people perceive value in different ways. So be it. Let Sebenza owners praise their knives. If you don't like them, then look elsewhere. There are so many other good knives to choose from for any budget. That's the beauty of knife collecting.

Back