Well I got to look at the Sebenzas and...

That's just it though. I am not a hater. I like CRK. They make some nice knives and seem to run a great company. I am actually considering a Nyala right now(if the handle wasn't so long it would be in the mail now). I just don't like the mythical status some people try to give them. To me the Sebenza is an old, plain, boring design with not the greatest steel choice for its dollar value, slippery scales, and detail that just drives the price up instead of adding to the useable functionality of the design.

I should have clarified by stating I wasn't totally directing my comment at you, but rather the countless threads where CRK haters come out when Sebenza threads are posted. I disagree with your opinion about the Sebenza based on years of carrying one. Is it using the uber steel of the minute? No, but I'd rather use CRK's choice of steel for work where harder steels have chipped as opposed to rolled when I've hit foreign matter while making rough cuts. "Boring" is a matter or opinion as well. I prefer that "timeless" design as opposed to many newer , more "faddish" designs you see these days. As far as slippery scales go, that's opinion as well, because I've never experienced any issues when working with my CRKs.

Still, you're the one who made psychology comments, so I'd love to read your take on the people I'm talking about.

One word.

Micarta...

B7BBE079-7631-41DE-AB6D-E6A85AE8C562_zpsqxrhlnkt.jpg

If I ever get a large it will most definatly have that on it. I know it would fix the grip issue with larger slabs to grab.

Like you, I do not like the ergonomics, and additionally I would rather have the heat treat run to a higher hardness.

They are pretty good but considering the price vs. the quality you receive (although high) I'd rather save that $410 towards a knife that's handmade in limited numbers instead of mass produced like the Sebenza.

I wish I had discovered the Sebenza years ago before I purchased hundreds of made in USA production knives.Seems I was chasing the dragon until I took the Sebenza plunge.I always thought Sebenzas were too expensive and chased other brands that I felt had more value.It has been a long journey, but in the end I wish that I would have ponied or coughed up the cash for one years ago.All the money that I spent over the years on production knives is astronomical in my eyes as a working person.I really wish I would have purchased a few Sebenzas and stuck a fork in it years ago.It's been a fun and costly ride and after all is said and done the vehicle ended up parking right in front of CRK.Very fine production knives in my eyes.The standard that I personally use to judge not only production knives, but knives that are labeled and marketed as a Mid-tech .

Accusing people of elitism and narcissism is often the recourse of the one who is jealous of those who possess what he or she can't afford. Just telling like it is, man.

Look, high end stuff isn't meant for everyone. There are people who will never own an expensive luxury car, or an expensive timepiece, or expensive knife. They may not be able to grasp a reason to justify paying a large sum of money on an item, and will be quite content with what they have. If a $20 or $30 Buck folder does everything you need out of knife, then enjoy it, praise it and move on.

I will never own high end custom knives, simply because I can't justify the expense. That doesn't mean that I'm going to criticise people who can afford them or dismiss a particular knife as overrated just because I can't afford it. Things cost what the cost. It's as simple as that. Obviously, people perceive value in different ways. So be it. Let Sebenza owners praise their knives. If you don't like them, then look elsewhere. There are so many other good knives to choose from for any budget. That's the beauty of knife collecting.

Lol, your way off the mark here man. I actually love high end gear and can afford it. I have spent more then a Sebenza on knives and peripherals in the last month alone. I was just commenting on my experiences with Sebenza owners in general.

I ve read this entire thread and it might be scrambling my brain. I like posts 76 and 79 and agree with most of the opinion in both of these (?):confused: I have a Sebenza 25 that may be my best made knife. I like it a lot. Do I carry it? Infrequently because it s so expensive (I m cheap). I ve got a few knifes that are 25% the cost of the 25 and are made 75% as well and have 100% of the ergonomics and functionality. These I carry and use hard because they are more easily replaced.
I guess my opinion is based on my personal state of mind about what things cost relative to their value to me. I like bargains. And I must admit, I save a lot of money (for me).:cool:

I love these labels that people put on CRK owners.

For the record: when I'm at work, I flamboyantly run in circles screaming "look at me" while holding my sebenza high above my head. When people ask what knife I have, I just say "pshhh... Like you could afford one...HAH!!!"

My Sebenza get a lot of hard-use: spooning my caviar on water biscuits, cutting the $10,000 price tag off my Gucci jeans, using it as a rear-view mirror dangled for my Ferrari. It's no wonder that I'm awesome...

Often times, I wonder why people look at me funny. I assume it's because they haven't experienced the Sebenza yet, or they are just peasants that can't experience the finer things in life...

-----------------

On a serious note, I just enjoy my CRK's quietly to myself. When I'm working, I casually open it and use it like any other knife. If someone asks about it, I just tell them it's called a Sebenza (more questions warrant less answers). Even if I'm carrying a more fancy custom, I'm very casual about it. Nobody really cares if I'm cutting something with a $700+ knife, and if they did, they probably belong to this forum or have issues with the fact that people enjoy thing outside of their own interests.

For the record: when I'm at work, I flamboyantly run in circles screaming "look at me" while holding my sebenza high above my head. When people ask what knife I have, I just say "pshhh... Like you could afford one...HAH!!!"

My Sebenza get a lot of hard-use: spooning my caviar on water biscuits, cutting the $10,000 price tag off my Gucci jeans, using it as a rear-view mirror dangled for my Ferrari. It's no wonder that I'm awesome...

Often times, I wonder why people look at me funny. I assume it's because they haven't experienced the Sebenza yet, or they are just peasants that can't experience the finer things in life...

-----------------

On a serious note, I just enjoy my CRK's quietly to myself. When I'm working, I casually open it and use it like any other knife. If someone asks about it, I just tell them it's called a Sebenza (more questions warrant less answers). Even if I'm carrying a more fancy custom, I'm very casual about it. Nobody really cares if I'm cutting something with a $700+ knife, and if they did, they probably belong to this forum or have issues with the fact that people enjoy thing outside of their own interests.

For the people I usually run into they wouldn't know the difference in my Sebenza and a flea market knife....

Can we just make a list of pro and anti Sebenza cliches and post them in threads like this?

Here are a few
Pro:
1. TOLERANCES
2. "You just need to mature to appreciate it."
3. FIT AND FINISH
4. The standard to which all knives ever made must live up to

Anti:
1. OVERPRICED
2. "No one actually uses their Sebenza."
3. BORING
4. Fans are elitist snobs.

I know I'm missing some. Maybe we could make a bingo card with them to play when these threads pop up?

For the people I usually run into they wouldn't know the difference in my Sebenza and a flea market knife....

Not that that's a bad thing...

I see a lot of cheap knives being used at work. Most times they are being used for everything except cutting. In that case, I'd carry cheapos too...

-----------------

Good one:thumbup:

-----------------

Lol nice man. Thanks for the laugh, awesome mental picture;-)

The sad part is there are people that bad.

:D^
I just might have to look for a Sebenza now. Dang, 5 pages!

Gotta get you won of them there tanto half surated knifes they got dun there fur $15, them got that sugical steel and blak blade.

maybe i'll buy one when I'm older, my first job pays 9.50 an hour.
And I'm sorry for being such a cactus on your rear because of my opinion.

Back