what lights ya carry??

20080627e2dl0005pa0.jpg

Did you ask which ones I carry?

You seem to be missing some items - where's the baterang?

I'm afraid of the dark.

I'm not afraid of the dark, the dark is afraid of me!

I've never spent more than 25 bucks on a flashlight. All of mine are LED flashlights that I could find at Wally world, Targét, or Lowes. All of them still work, they're just as bright as the expensive ones like Surefire and Inova, and the batteries last twice as long and cost half as much. Go figure.

I'd like to see that. :)

I'd like to see that. :)

No problem. You coming to Blade? I keep one of said "cheapos" in my day pack that goes everywhere with me.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking the expensive stuff. I hope you don't think that I'm trying to kick all the flashlight fanatics in the nuts. We all spend stupid dough on some types of gear. I'm just saying that you don't have to spend a lot for a good, bright, longlasting flashlight. I've never had to spend more. I've got plenty of buddies that complain about their new "super flashlight" not being perfect for whatever reason. My shit works like a champ, is bright enough to be seen from space, and I bought four for the price of their one.

A lot of people overlook the "cheap" flashlights. Every once in a blue moon, some lesser company actually comes out with a great flashlight that is surprisingly high quality. I make it a point to check and see what's new about every 3 weeks or so. Sometimes you find some really good stuff on the cheap.

EDC, streamlight microstream. IDPA, Surefire 6P with custom TKW ring. Duty belt, Surefire Z2 in TKW pouch with microstream in pocket. Maxpedition Fat Boy, (hiking/daypack) surefire E2D defender.

Both my surefire's have the CREE 290 lumen bulbs. Love em'

Substitute Knife for flashlight and this sentence could also apply, but we spend don't we. Go Figure.

Bill

Indeed we do. I've got a couple of buddies that are total flashlight perverts and I'm always saying, "man, why the hell would you spend that on a flashlight? How many of those do you have?" Then they say, "empty your sheaths and pockets." to which I reply, "you win".

Indeed we do. I've got a couple of buddies that are total flashlight perverts and I'm always saying, "man, why the hell would you spend that on a flashlight? How many of those do you have?" Then they say, "empty your sheaths and pockets." to which I reply, "you win".

Yea, I'm a Flashaholic. Over 1400 posts on Candle Power Forums. Knives and Lights have been a passion for a long long time. Although I have spent upward of $150 on a light it still doesn't compare to my knives. My two
Randalls alone would make my flashlights pale by comparison.

I think it's funny that a person who has a passion for something can easily pick up a passion for something else. I think a person with this type of personality is only limited by his funds! AND boy am I running short. LOL

Bill

I've got plenty of buddies that complain about their new "super flashlight" not being perfect for whatever reason. My shit works like a champ, is bright enough to be seen from space, and I bought four for the price of their one.

My guess is that your buddies fall for the hype and buy lights that are 'supposed' to be good - but really aren't that great. Thats why I do my own modding and get what I want - I can't complain that my best lights are not perfect because they pretty much are!

By Best:
#1 - pulls ~212 Watts of power from ~30 volts of batteries (@ ~7A) and feeds it too a 12 Volt bulb at 20.2 Volts (regulated) and 10.5 Amps (~212 Watts). This beast puts out somewhere over 7000 Lumen (maybe ~7500) and if you have a brighter light I'd like to see it!

#2 - ~180 Watts of power, same bulb as above but just direct drive from about 18.5V of batteries. This looks like a standard Maglite 4D. Estimated output >5500 Lumen

#3 - ~77 Watts by running a 6V bulb at 10V (regulated) for a bright and white beam of light - this beast looks almost identical to a standard Maglite 3D. Estimated output >1300 Lumen

These 3 all have low modes and #3 is capable of 2+ hours of run time if required (though full output overdrive will drain the batteries faster, maybe 40 minutes).

My flashlight collection would be worth a lot more than my knife collection and I can't afford to buy enough knives to change that. One thing I know - anytime anyone wants to take a $25 light up against mine, I am ready to meet that challenge.

No problem. You coming to Blade? I keep one of said "cheapos" in my day pack that goes everywhere with me.

I seriously would. I need something other then Surefire's to give out as gifts. :D

Not sure if I'm coming to blade. Fingers crossed, but it might not work out.

I think it's funny that a person who has a passion for something can easily pick up a passion for something else. I think a person with this type of personality is only limited by his funds! AND boy am I running short. LOL

Bill

Yep. That's the kind of person that never needs to try any type of drug. Next thing ya know they're all like, "hey bro *scratch scratch* can I barrow your dvd player for just a minute?"

I seriously would. I need something other then Surefire's to give out as gifts. :D

Not sure if I'm coming to blade. Fingers crossed, but it might not work out.

If you do, shoot me a PM on here and I'll be sure to pack a few lights with me.

This is the one that stays on me 24/7. It's the old style Sportsman Extreme 1 watt flashlight from Rayovac. This is the one that sold me on the Rayovac SE lights. It's only a 1W, but if you shine it in someone's face, you'll give them a sunburn and burn their eyes out. I think it cost me somewhere around $20. I've got the same set of AA's in it that came with it in the package and I've been using it for a couple of years now. Their Sportsman Extreme lights are actually really impressive for the dough and they're tough as nails. They've got the new SE's out and the new 3w is pretty killer and it only runs about 25-30 bucks.

ATT00008-1.jpg

Another company that does pretty nice inexpensive flashlights is Brinkmann. I bought one of their MaxFire LX's a couple of years ago and it's great. It uses the more expensive batteries, but the light itself isn't expensive at all as far as flashlights go and it can take a serious beating. Bright as a mother too.

base_media

Fenix L1d and my wife just got me a steel bodied maratac aaa for $28 Really luvin that thing.

The only brand and quality lights I have are a Nitecore D10 and the Fenix E01. I carry both of them with me at all times.

The postman just delivered my ITP A3 EOS upgraded and I ordered a 10440 Ultrafire 3.6V also. I accidentally shined it in my left eye on high and I swear I heard a "rushing" sound in my left ear. I can't wait until it gets dark tonight!

Love that Nitecore, Camel. But hey, you knew that already ;)

Yeah, tritium is very cool. Wish I could make some handle inlays of it.

For the last couple of weeks I've been carrying the Quark Mini 123. Three well spaced settings, great runtime and nicely made. 189 lumens on high for an hour from a chapstick-sized light is pretty cool. And it's $36 shipped. :thumbup:

Back