Westinghouse Micarta, Ivorite, other vintage phenolics, etc.

Here's some more of the rag micarta I scored.. Have some in a few different colors now:

s4Xaj9tWrcj62NUuFzv86oSKMSVmgftDhjBNdBv2Ot4=w752-h1329-no

Look what I found.

Yeah pretty excited about scoring it, kinda like finding a golden unicorn. : )

Bringing this thread back up to the top. Here's a photo of a knife I had at ICCE in KC. One of the vintage rag micarta colors I've acquired, AEB-L blade, anodized (bronze) titanium liners and pins.

This particular material is very dense and finishes easily.. This is only 1500 grit hand rubbed, no oil, no buff.

Don Hanson, and Mike Vagnino talked me out of some of my stash, and John Lloyd has acquired quite a bit, so hopefully we'll see some of their awesome work with this material!

wf1VmHLXkYD1Ddw0yP9jZRSnbJe4gM2HV6-750DUgm0jy5Af3OMu5dUQdG-0aleXS9cVGASPi8D7GfDUSuY_5bcHMI0jRo-xa6l8EhR6yCn_yb9wlW1QXi6Jtk4MUtwrEd6kK6z3JnGFDkbqLQcI_FuqWP-J1rxbH2en1sd89zlefKWma3EmlG_focOF5oP-ZuzV3y82bQ8Jt6EEGJqcKPueV6xr-yZWoXf-7NQhOb4yoIjh2wvSD7TjCK8g39DLjjT-HpRRJ_y369yQKMll7M4UY23Yb-iPS1MCXJNXR6HCFvFVM_O6PLZcDDOx1Re4vW583TbWpr9-22k4Hm-f4s2GSfC60uE6uX2B5u13zKsUjxsULEAGPitGJ-VTewioE0MRgC0CsMKzHQBDMEObKUCGNnjJ6q-nnn5-eZqkoSeqUvM2_AgT2pt7A9MVIa14vput0ig69TTKpchVSLHu-QrC0vU9IldhlLaOMwNDD8JSfYURXf8La5k2QsGjbANKSHR1SZn7_bOnkiTMO_o8OawLZ33CMH7Ezf4PtjYnbhY=w1344-h760-no

CGg7RHJS5BrVhtHgWOCnrdYlDmY6AikDutdBhq0yPU-rFW8dTsvTVHwepIr90vO-diytfnrDuNm6AGWlqk1K3b4KGVAeqEHQGgSqN1NgqQCjhik3Q_vesIMK9kutsktJPAjhekaZYvptVhxTGLgULzAVwqeGjwp_etb3d3XwNu9zqIGzvGOFUIrLeNKhjvBzWh5joalxAg9Eofheh8NlGXZZ664rXfPc6KQ_fq52GriK_WDxOPWCmsl-Oirq70wT52u8CHRG2gjnE0OCX4fo5qMJmxwjCbmgqkR-odh4yYCNwdsFgTTe97hq8HZGi6LYNLcPl8Whm5RyadhJ4rJdi-u7fwk-I3qxA8oYyL8JNODEDzJFq_M9qyn_zuHMzgekHgytPcJX5s6KQbWC0GXMAS6hdrMrVGKUafKrsH5esCiAFjfHlityprxKUEhUSvmb9rzDFT9L1j5_8lQgrWye4pPju-LzJWfpJXqHI1bV5SYsE8P4Y-qHrytlBksgYfz0Dj4MwDCdhOJ_G-uIUWDzoY1Q3MB2Ft2CnJ_WoGCWx_c=w1344-h760-no

I got really lucky about 10 years ago when I scored a nice stash of early 20th century Bakelite from a building rehab in Madison Wisconsin.
It was a huge sheet bolted to the wall of a basement upon which was mounted the fuse boxes being updated.
The pieces were being hauled out to the dumpster when a friend of mine noticed what they were and grabbed a bunch of the pieces headed to the landfill.
The fuse boxes were dated 1910.
I have sold MANY!! knives made from this, but what I have left - is mine.
Here is a small sampling:

Good stuff Karl.

Killer stuff Karl!

That butterscotch bakelite seems to be pretty valuable these day, from what I've seen pieces going for on ebay.

What was your experience with it moving Karl? I've got some insanely beautiful antique stock of french galalith (which is another early plastic made from casein) but care seems to be required to make sure that when it moves it doesn't affect things. Of course, many natural materials we work with are the same.

Love that Bakelite Bowie. Wowza!

Javan that's the most $ I ever spent on micarta, but it is cool! :)

If it makes you feel any better Don, this material is significantly rarer than fossil ivory. Of course, it could be reproduced similarly, but the likeliness of that happening as evidenced by Chuck's posts, is extremely slim.

If it makes you feel any better Don, this material is significantly rarer than fossil ivory. Of course, it could be reproduced similarly, but the likeliness of that happening as evidenced by Chuck's posts, is extremely slim.

Javan, I felt fine before, but now feel even better. :cool:

I have no proof but I was told by Neil that this natural micarta was close to 60 years old.

IMG_20150921_183002.jpg

IMG_20150921_182506.jpg

Anyone have any experience with the material that is being sold on *bay? There are blocks I am considering cutting up for scales.

I bought some blue ivorite from "kenstix" and I believe his material to be genuine, and if you read the descriptions, he's very knowledgeable. I would *NOT* buy anything from "cuecomponents" I believe the material to be counterfeit, and the seller is a complete asshole. The photos are taken or doctored in such a way on the "ivory" micarta to make it appear yellow, in fact it's just plain ivory paper micarta.

I made a knife with the ivorite, I'll see if I can find a photo.

Front pocket by Gene Wiseman. The material was advertised as Westinghouse made, I have no way to confirm that but it's certainly old.

Pacheco drop point folder by Rick Menefee. He used some rag we got from Javan . Thanks guys :thumbup:

IMG_0293_zps8ehlvc2w.jpg

Back